If you’re worried that your sprinkler system will turn on when it’s raining, wasting water and making you look silly, there are options:
1. Stay home all the time, staring out the window and watching for rain.
2. Train your dog to watch for rain and how to turn off the sprinkler system.
3. Get an irrigation system rain sensor.
Let’s talk about why number three is really your best option:
First, What Are Rain Sensors for Irrigation Systems?
A rain sensor is a handy device that communicates with your sprinkler timer, letting it know that it’s raining, and it might not need to go to work today. (Let’s all pause for a minute to ponder how cool that would be if all our bosses made that phone call to us. Pretty sweet.)
If enough rain has fallen, the rain sensors let the timer know to skip the next cycle and not run.
How Do Rain Sensors Work?
There are porous cork discs inside. When they get wet from rain, those discs absorb the water and expand, triggering a sensor that prevents the controller from watering.
When the cork discs dry out and shrink back to their normal size, the sensor lets your controller know it’s ok to go back to its normal watering schedule.
Why Have an Irrigation System Rain Sensor?
It’s the smart thing to do. Why?
- Irrigation rain sensors save water. Why use precious water when nature is providing it for you? It makes no sense for your sprinkler system to turn on in the rain, churning out thousands of gallons of unneeded water.
- Irrigation rain sensors save money. It’s common sense, right? Less water used, less money spent.
- Too much water is bad for your lawn. It encourages fungus and diseases. And when your lawn gets too much water, its roots don’t have to reach down into the soil for moisture, hanging out near the surface instead. Shallow roots are weaker roots, making your lawn more susceptible to insects, drought, and disease.
- An irrigation system rain sensor saves wear and tear on your sprinkler system. All those parts out there work hard, from your sprinkler heads to your valves. The less they have to work, the longer they’ll last.
But Don’t Forget to Check It
Check your irrigation system rain sensor occasionally to make sure the batteries are still working and that it’s clear and not obstructed by debris. It can only do its job if everything is working properly.
Worried you’ll forget? Don’t want the hassle?
Get Regular Irrigation System Checkups
Irrigation system rain sensors are just one way to save water and money.
Sign up for a sprinkler system maintenance plan and you’ll have peace of mind that a skilled irrigation specialist will discover any issues before you waste a bunch of water.
Sure, they’ll make sure your irrigation system rain sensor is working properly. But they’ll also check for a host of other potential water waste, too, from clogged or broken sprinkler heads to controller issues.
Then, you can rest easy, knowing you’re not wasting water or money, and your lawn and garden are getting exactly the right amount of water to thrive.
Save Water with an Irrigation System Rain Sensor: Trust RainMaster in Eau Claire or Minneapolis
Absolutely nothing against your dog, but do you really think you can train him to turn off your sprinkler system when it rains?
If you can, you’re wasting time here. You should be on the phone with a dog talent agent.
Meanwhile, invest in an irrigation system rain sensor.
You want the most efficient irrigation system possible, right?
Did we mention your irrigation maintenance company should make all of this super easy?
You deserve skilled, efficient irrigation repair; continued attentive maintenance; and friendly customer service that takes away the stress and makes things easy.
Hire an Eau Claire or Minneapolis irrigation maintenance company that goes beyond fixing that immediate irrigation repair problem and sets you up for easy maintenance and efficiency designed for the long haul.
Choose from our three irrigation maintenance programs to make sure everything is running smoothly.
When you’re ready to put your trust in us, we can’t wait to meet you — and help you make the best choice for your lawn.
Ready to make your lawn life easier? Request a quote today! We’ll review your options together so you can make a confident decision. Then, you can finally enjoy your well-watered lawn and stop worrying about it.