Whether you are looking to improve the value of your home before putting it on the market or make upgrades for personal enjoyment, consider adding new landscaping to your yard. Landscaping can potentially add as much as 28% to the overall value of a house and can reduce it’s time on the market by 10-15%. Adding elements such as trees, healthy grass, lighting and walkways can have an impeccable effect on not only the environment but on your finances and personal health as well.
It doesn’t matter if you make just one or a few improvements, they will all contribute something wonderful to your yard. If you aren’t sure where to start, consider some of the following ideas.
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy, just 3 properly placed trees could save you between $100 and $250 a year in energy costs.
- Planting trees can reduce your winter heating bills by 15% and air conditioning needs by 75%.
- A study conducted by the U.S. Forest Service discovered that neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and larger lawn trees experience reduced crime rates.
- Various studies show that even just looking at trees and plants for a short time can reduce stress and lower blood pressure.
- A lush, healthy lawn absorbs airborne pollutants like dust and spores. Taking such pollutants out of the air prevents the irritation of the respiratory system and allergies
- Just like any plant, grass converts carbon dioxide into oxygen. This cleanses the air we breathe and helps reduce the effects of global warming.
- A green and healthy lawn is also a must for many potential homebuyers who want to spend time outdoors with their family and friends, especially in the summer months. Investing in an automatic sprinkler system can boost the value of your home immensely. It allows you to keep your lawn looking good without all the work of watering on your own.
- Lighting tops the National Association of Homebuilder’s list of most wanted outdoor features. Their “What Home Buyers Really Want” survey shows that 41% of homeowners rate it as essential.
- Adding some lighting to your yard can make your home a more difficult target for intruders.
- Lighting reduces the potential for injury from slips and falls.
- Walkways are always a nice touch when inviting guests over to your home. It gives them a safe and pleasant place to walk when the lawn might be wet or muddy.
- Walkways are easy to add when you’re on a budget. You don’t need to get too fancy. Simply lay down stepping stones in the grass. They typically cost $1-$3 per piece.